Friday, May 30, 2008

Different strokes for different folks

Two years ago Sean and I received a wedding gift from one of his co-workers. When Sean came home with the wrapped present I was extremely touched because I had only met this co-worker once and she wasn't invited to the wedding, so it was a gift given purely out of the kindness of her heart. We excitedly opened the present and pulled from the box some sort of twisted metal statue attached to a wooden heart shaped stand. Upon closer examination we figured out that the statue was two people twisted together in the shape of a heart. Huh...interesting. We didn't know what to do with it and felt bad for thinking it could have been a joke gift but sadly wasn't, so we decided to put it on the bottom shelf of our fish tank until further notice. A few weeks later we were at the grocery store in the section with the cards, flowers and feminie hygeine products (interesting product placement) and we noticed on the bottom shelf at the end of the aisle there was a box with a picture of our statue on it. I knelt down and picked up the box and lo and behold it was the ugly twisted metal heart statue, the very one in our house at that moment, and it was only $20 and came from Albertsons. Phew, pressure was off on having to keep that sucker.

Our next plan of action was to give it to our friend as a joke housewarming gift. We brought a few of our other friends in on it and surprised her with it during Christmas. She opened the gift and...that's right, LOVED it. We were all trying not to crack up and at one point I had to excuse myself so as to not blow our cover.

Fast forward two years later. Sean and I are in her apartment about a week ago and we notice the statue prominently displayed in her living room. We both start laughing and she asks what we are laughing at, but we pretend not to hear her. Sometimes it's the little things in life that are worth living for. This was one of them.

(unnamed friend, if you are reading this I'm sorry you are the butt of this joke, and that's why this post is annonymous).

4 comments:

Allyson said...

I know what type of statues you are talking about, those things are actually really popular. They have them for all sorts of occasions, new babies, sisters, etc.

Marina said...

Haha I remember that thing being on the bottom of your shelf in your old apartment :) I think I said "that's kind of cool" when I first saw it

L said...

I remember being in the grocery store and seeing the statute. That was really just great. Good times, good times.

Anonymous said...

OMG - I AM THAT FRIEND!! ha - just kidding, but I mean come on, who doesn't love a pile of twisted metal from the grocery store representing your lifetime of love for each other. Such a hater.