Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Flying dog turd

This might be the best piece of news I've read in a long time. The real question is, how do you become famous enough where displaying a giant inflatable dog turd becomes art? I probably could have come up with that when I was 5, but no one would have cared. Oh well, maybe someday I can put all my excel spreadsheets on display or one of my smelly work shoes or something (which are disgusting by the way, does anyone else's work shoes start smelling like an undiscovered species of crab after a year or so?).

GENEVA (AFP) - A giant inflatable dog turd by American artist Paul McCarthy blew away from an exhibition in the garden of a Swiss museum, bringing down a power line and breaking a greenhouse window before it landed again, the museum said Monday.

The art work, titled "Complex S(expletive..)", is the size of a house. The wind carried it 200 metres (yards) from the Paul Klee Centre in Berne before it fell back to Earth in the grounds of a children's home, said museum director Juri Steiner.

The inflatable turd broke the window at the children's home when it blew away on the night of July 31, Steiner said. The art work has a safety system which normally makes it deflate when there is a storm, but this did not work when it blew away.

Steiner said McCarthy had not yet been contacted and the museum was not sure if the piece would be put back on display.

7 comments:

L said...

My work shoes are awful, I mean some stick after i have worn them three times and it is a smell that really has a large circumference, it will take over a room or a car no problem. I have to spray them with oust. Luckily, I have found a line of shoes that don't smell, so now i am happy.

Anonymous said...

I saw a picture of the flying turd. I love turds.

Now that i wear flip flops to work every day I no longer have the smelly work shoes problem. Who am I kidding? Before I wore flip flops to work I was wearing tennis shoes so didn't have a problem then, either.

Nicole said...

So what is this line of shoes that doesn't smell?

L said...

They are the Tsubo line, but they have to be the leather shoes not the suede. The insoles on the suede shoes are furry and attract smell units, the leather ones don't and believe me with my feet that is a feet.

Nicole said...

Oh, I love Tsubos. They are my old Japanese lady shoes. Mine are suede and don't smell yet, but I don't wear them very often because I really like them and don't want them to smell.

Allyson said...

My shoes don't smell...

Nicole said...

Not even your heels or whatever shoes you wear without socks? That's amazing. Mine don't smell right away but they will after about a year.