Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Granola is yummy

This Sunday is Earth Day and the Green Apple Festival (which is free) is happening in Golden Gate Park at Noon. There's some live music and speeches. If this weekend is as nice as last weekend it should be a good time. It's pretty cool because the festival is supposed to be as green as possible. According to the website, they implement a zero waste goal, have mandated a paperless event, use organic cotton t-shirts for staff, use bio-diesel generators for power where possible, serve organic food and encourage patrons to take public transportation, bike or get to the event on foot. They also have aggressive recycling and reusing efforts. I think I will stop by because I like live music, free things, and supporting the environment.

On another note, Trader Joe's has new compostable bags to replace all plastic bags, which I think is really cool.

Here's the website for the Green Apple Festival:
http://www.greenapplemusicfestival.com

8 comments:

Allyson said...

I need to rescue you from SF before you start wearing dreadlocks and birkenstocks and are voting for Ralph Nader.

Anonymous said...

I know it really isn't like this, but when I hear about organic cotton I think of scratchy, chaffing fabric, like a burlap sack or something.

I think most of the people there will have wwf backpacks and crocs.

Have fun hugging trees, Nicole.

Nicole said...

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves Allyson, I would never do any of those things. If I ever wear dreadlocks or birkenstocks you have permission to shave my head and cut off my feet.

I will wear a burnt orange t-shirt and my merrills to fully embrace my Jan from Oregon persona when I'm hugging my trees. If you are lucky and catch me from just the right angle I might even have a camel toe (just for you Sarah).

Anonymous said...

This is perfect for you - google's how-to of the day - How to Host a Green Event. Get out those beeswax candles, Jan.

http://www.wikihow.com/Host-a-Green-Event

Sean said...

I think that in order to balance Nicole's green weekend, she needs to have a red one next (red as in "red states" or republican states--interesting coincidence that red happens to be exactly opposite of green on the color wheel). For the red weekend, I propose that we celebrate Allyson and Josh style--we'll barbecue up some pup seal burgers while stoning petty drug dealers to death!

Allyson said...

Sean, that sounds awesome! Maybe instead of seal burgers we can have something endangered...

Anonymous said...

How did this turn out - did you go? How did they serve food? Did you have to bring your own plates from home, or did they just slop a scoop of chocolate soy ice cream into your hands?

I did invest in a resuable grocery bag... which I remember to take out of my car and into the store about half of the time. And every time I do, I judge the non-reusable bag people. I love it.

Nicole said...

I actually never ended up going. It was a little cold that day and I had a friend in town who wasn't very interested.

I enter the Trader Joe's raffle for using reusable grocery bags every time I go, but I have yet to win.

Now that you are armed with your reusable bags, maybe you should start a petition to get recycling in your city Regina...I'm amazed that there is still a place in California that doesn't recycle.