Friday, April 4, 2008

Going (or not) to a Hukilau

This week two major airlines that fly to Hawaii, Aloha and ATA, announced that they are filing for bankruptcy and are discontinuing all of their operations. On a purely selfish level this announcement left me feeling sad and concerned. I love Hawaii. I've been at least 20 times, maybe more. My family has been going since I was a child, my husband was born and raised on Oahu and his entire family still lives there. To think that the reduced competition coupled with high fuel costs will make a trip to the place with beautiful sandy beaches, lush tropical foliage, great shopping and delicious Vietnamese sandwiches less accessible, makes me sad. Hopefully Hawaiian Airlines keep their prices reasonable and/or Southwest or someone else starts flying to Hawaii. I hope my two options don't come down to shelling out $1,000 to fly United or visiting Allyson in Houston, not that I have anything against Houston (except for the obvious).

5 comments:

Allyson said...

Well, at least when you come to Houston you will be able to stay in a big house! Of course he has to get in first...Oh, and there is a med school in Hawaii...but it's like $35k a year for out of state tuition alone (not including living, books, fees, etc.)...

Nicole said...

I will only come if your big house also has a pool.

L said...

They actually didn't tell people that had flights booked with them till they got to the terminal. It was like sorry your flight was canceled, we went bankrupt. Sucks for those people. Sarah actually had a flight booked with ATA for August when she is going to Hawaii with her family.

Allyson said...

I actually don't feel bad for ATA. I have them. I've flown them twice to DC. The planes are always gross and their people rude. Oh and one time after changing planes at Chicago Miday, ATA's hub, aka the most ghetto airport ever (seriously, I thought they were under construction, then a year later it looked the same....turns out that's just how that airport looks) we had to get off the plane because it was getting ready to take off with a flat tire...

L said...

I was on a plane leaving france and there was an hour delay, turns out they forgot to refuel the plane. Whoops!