Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Technology hurts my head

For those of you that don't know, I'm a bit slow when it comes to updating technology. I think it's a mixture of being cheap, lazy and rebellious. And yes I do know it sounds ironic because I have two flat screen TV's at home about 20 feet away from each other. However, if my living room wall would just rotate like in the movies it would be a moo point. I also realize that I have an iphone, but that was a gift and I did contemplate returning it. Anyway, for years I have been rebelling against paying extra for digital cable, but when we moved in July I finally caved and ordered the Comcast bundle meaning that I have digital cable, digital phone and cable internet for one low price. I have no idea what digital phone means or why anyone would ever pay more for it, but it was included in the bundle so it ended up being cheaper than regular phone service.

So the point is (well actually, for those of you who are hoping there's a point to this post, there isn't so you can stop reading at any time) our digital phone has been out of commission for about 3 months now. Sean has tried restarting the modem and doing some other things and nothing has worked. The only type of phone that I understand is the one that plugs into the wall, so I'm no help. At the beginning I kept asking Sean if he checked the wire that plugs into the phone jack and he kept having to explain that it's not that kind of phone. Sean is too busy/lazy/forgetful to call the cable company and I haven't done it because I wouldn't even know where to start fixing the damn thing. Sometimes I think technology is too complicated. I feel like I can't even call the cable company to fix our phone because I don't know what the millions of wires in our house are for or where they even are. All I know is that all I have to do is press one button on our crazy universal remote and everything magically turns on. It's amazing that I even know how to blog.

4 comments:

Allyson said...

Moo point, nice ode to Friends. We had a digital phone for a while. Actually we once again have one but the phones are in a box in a garage and haven't been hooked up. I mean who really needs a house phone anyway? And I am also surprised that you blog, seeing how I regularly get emails from you asking how to put in links or pictures or whatever :)

Sean said...

In my own defense, I was pretty sure I knew what exactly was the problem with the phone: we needed a new splitter because the old one sucked. Before calling the cable company and sacrificing a day of my life to waiting for a repairman to show up, I wanted to attempt to fix it myself. This past weekend we happened to visit Office Despot where I purchased a new splitter. Voila. Problem fixed. I suppose I could have gotten a splitter sooner, but it just never seemed worth going out of my way to find one.

Nicole said...

Likely story. Office "Despot" is 20 blocks from our house, about a 3 minute drive. I don't think that's "out of the way." But thanks for fixing it!
Although it has been nice and peaceful without it.

Allyson said...

Sometimes I think it would be great to just not have my cell phone on. I would still carry it with me so I could use it when I needed it. I hate talking on the phone.