Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Book Club

Sean and I were invited to join Mike's new book club (Mike knows Dan who is Stephanie's boyfriend who is Sean's friend at Hastings). I've been wanting to join a book club for the past 3 years or so and I'm really excited about it. Our first book was And Then We Came To The End, and it sucked. Well ok, "sucked" is too harsh a word, but it was only available in hard cover and it definitely wasn't worth the $25. Oh, and I didn't enjoy reading it. It was about corporate office life and followed a bunch of characters that were annoying and nothing really happened. And I didn't like the prose, it was very choppy. Our second book club meeting was last night and we read The Maltese Falcon, which was excellent. Riveting characters, interesting story and very well written. It was descriptive without going over board and the character development was superb. Next we are reading The Princess Bride by William Goldman, per my suggestion. I hope it's good!
The book club is great because I've met some wonderful people and it's fun to sit around and drink wine and be social. We usually only talk about the book in little spurts throughout the night, the main point is to just hang out. The only slightly annoying part is that you don't have control over the books you read. Our book club is half guys and half girls which makes it that much harder to figure out a book that everyone will enjoy.

9 comments:

Allyson said...

That sounds like fun, especially the drinking wine part. I read the Maltese Falcon when I was about 14 or so. I was almost finished and I was looking at a random Cliff Notes book (for something else) and in the back they had a summary for Maltese Falcon AND gave away the ending. So I never finished it. Boo. You still have to read that book I gave you, it's great!

Nicole said...

You should read it again. It's only 220 pages and it's a really fast read. I read it in 2 days. I will read the book you gave me next!

Allyson said...

I just bought a new book by the same author of the book I gave you. Haven't even opened it yet. I will probably read it on the flight to DC.

Josh said...

"Riveting characters, interesting story......"

".....and the character development was superb"

Wow Nicole, you're are even nerdier than I thought, haha. Does it make me a nerd if i think it sounds like fun? I would probably ruin the shindig by drinking too much wine and taking off my clothes.

Nicole said...

Yes, it's true. I'm a nerd. And you hang out with me so that makes you a nerd too. Ha! If you didn't take your clothes off at inappropriate times you wouldn't be Josh.

Marina said...

I heart blogs! Maybe I should start writing in mine again...

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

Yay for book clubs! That sounds like so much fun. I know you don't have total control over what you read, but I would definitely recommend "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini and "The Witch of Portobello" by Paolo Coehlo. (Although the guys might not be as into the Witch of Portobello...I think they might like The Alchemist or The Zahir better.)

Nicole said...

I already read A Thousand Splendid Suns and I think it's basically the same thing as The Kite Runner. I will definitely recommend one of the others though, thanks!

Marina said...

You should read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - not sure if the boys will like it though but its an amazing book!