Monday, March 31, 2008

Lauren the trickster

This past weekend some friends and I went to the Nob Hill Spa (see Grapes and Salami post). While we were soaking in the hot tub, Regina randomly announced "Lauren is getting engaged!" Side note, the Nob Hill Spa hot tub is EXTREMELY hot. It's advertised as 104 degrees, but I think it's actually 140 degrees (i.e. hot enough to burn human flesh). The furthest I could go in was up to my belly button, and it took me about 10 minutes to get that far. And for some unknown reason when the jets were on, honest to goodness bubbles formed. It looked like someone poured a bottle of dawn in there, and at one point when I was losing the feeling in my toes and was surrounded by bubbles and crazy jets I felt like I was in a human dishwasher. BUT, the spa was amazing and I had a great massage and had some good quality time with my friends.

Anyway, so after Regina's announcement everyone was very excited and started grilling Lauren about the details. She told us that in February Steve told her that he was going to propose sometime before her birthday in June. We started asking questions about if they had gone ring shopping, and how all this came up and if she was excited etc etc. She seemed a little subdued about the whole thing, but I figured it was because we were bombarding her with questions. Then about 3 hours later after all our services were completed, we were sitting by the fireplace (eating our grapes and salami) and Lauren puts out her left hand and says, "look what Steve gave me." Silence. Everyone was completely stunned. Emily was trying to figure out which hand Lauren was showing us, Regina looked really confused, Sarah's mouth was wide open and I was wondering why Steve gave Lauren a diamond promise ring 2 months before he was going to propose anyway, that made no sense. Then we all realized that she was already engaged and she was surprising us. It was awesome! We were screaming and making a big commotion and it was a great end to our evening. Lauren told us Steve proposed on February 17th. Let me tell you, Lauren is a great liar. She had been engaged for 6 weeks and didn't tell any of us and three hours before all this she lied straight to our faces! Lauren and Steve have been surprising all of their friends and family in person and they have a picture album of people's reactions, it's really cool. Their kids are going to have amazing surprise parties.

Congratulations Steve and Lauren!!!!!

4 comments:

Allyson said...

That's really cool, having those pictures will be awesome.

Nicole said...

I know! But if you do that to me don't wait 6 weeks to see me in person.

Allyson said...

Yeah, I guess that is a pretty long time...

Anonymous said...

Haha - this is a great blog. I'm glad that grapes and salami are a part of Lauren's engagement news.